More facts emerged this week from the Kroger beating case. The Plaintiff presented the following evidence against Kroger at trial:
- The assailant told his two accomplices that he had "hit" the Kroger twice previously in the past few months.
- Kroger had two incident reports for parking lot muggings where the assailant’s description matched the assailant in this case.
- Kroger paid to have off-duty JPD and Hinds S.D. deputies patrol the store to guard against shop lifters. There had been no violent crimes in the store.
- Kroger had an unarmed security guard in the parking lot who had no power to arrest individuals. The parking lot security cost half ($10.00 per hr.) what the in store security cost. ($17.00-20.00 per hr.).
- Kroger could have had armed off-duty law enforcement officers in the parking lot at no extra cost by stationing the security guard in the store and the police officer or deputy in the parking lot.
- Kroger gave its customers no warning of the recent history of violent crimes in the parking lot.
- At trial Kroger blamed the victim for attempting to defend herself and keep the assailant from taking her purse.
It’s amazing to me that anyone can criticize this verdict.