With the holidays upon us and 2011 coming to a close, here is a look back at the top legal stories of the year reported on MLR.
- Miss. Supreme Court rules that out-of-state residents can be sued for alienation of affection
- Eaton asks Judge Weill to recuse himself in Frisby litigation; Judge Weill refuses;
- Gulfport native John Dowdy appointed interim U.S. Attorney for Southern District, a position that he still holds
- Miss. Supreme Court issues opinion in case closely watched by Miss. pot-heads;
- 5th Circuit asks Miss. Supreme Court if tort reform caps constitutional; [I predict Court upholds caps];
- U.S. Magistrate Judge Jerry Davis announces retirement.
- Hinds County jury renders $23 verdict against Marriott and City of Jackson in premises case;
- Eaton v. Frisby litigation heats up with cases filed outside Mississippi;
- Justice James Graves confirmed to 5th Circuit Court of Appeals;
- Judge Leslie King appointed to Miss. Supreme Court, replacing Justice James Graves.
- Felicia Adams appointed Northern District U.S. Attorney;
- $875,000 verdict in federal court sex discrimination case;
- Plaintiffs getting clocks cleaned in Mississippi trials.
- $1,132,491 federal court verdict in 18–wheeler accident trial;
- $1 million verdict in Hinds County kidney dialysis catheter infection wrongful death case;
- U.S. District Court Judge Carlton Reeves investiture;
- Haley Barbour pulls out of 2012 Presidential race;
- Miss. Court of Appeals reverses $130,000 weiner dog attack verdict.
- $322 million verdict in Smith County asbestos drilling mud case;
- Jenny Virden selected Magistrate Judge for Northern District;
- Miss. Supreme Court reverses $2.5 million Hinds County jury verdict;
- Ermea Russell named to Miss. Court of Appeals;
- $533,000 verdict in Hinds County medical malpractice trial.
- Miss. Supreme Court hears oral argument in 5th Circuit case challenging tort reform caps;
- Miss. judicial elections covered in HBO movie Hot Coffee; [my take on movie here]
- $1.1 million bench verdict in Hinds County tear gas case;
- Jackson attorney Greg Davis nominated U.S. Attorney for Southern District;
- Miss. Supreme Court affirms $4 million verdict in premises case.
Tomorrow I will review July-December.