Here is a preview of the November 2016 issue of the Miss. Jury Verdict Reporter:
- $8.5 million verdict/ 40% fault to defendant- Gulfport federal court crane accident case covered here (10/20/16);
- $261,621 verdict/ 80% fault to defendant- Clay County truck negligence case (10/6/16);
- $20,000 verdict / 30% fault to defendant- Pearl River County car wreck case (7/22/16);
- $15,000 verdict- Lamar County slip-and-fall case covered here (10/11/16);
- $70,000 verdict = defense judgment- Warren County car wreck UM case where plaintiff had to recover more than $85,000 at trial to exceed offset floor; (10/8/16);
- defense verdict- Hinds County medical malpractice trial (10/20/16); and
- defense verdict- Rankin County medical malpractice trial (10/17/16).
Nothing unusual except for the big verdict in the crane case.
The facts of the medical malpractice cases illustrate how hard it is for plaintiffs to win med-mal trials. In one case the plaintiff was the estate of a local doctor who had unsuccessful neck surgery followed by multiple failed ‘repair’ surgeries. The plaintiff’s expert was a preeminent local surgeon. Venue was in Hinds County. Defense verdict.
The other case involved a retained needle in a surgery that plaintiff discovered years later. Retained needle cases used to be layups for plaintiffs.